September 14, 2018
We seek to promote the environmental, cultural and historical benefits of our Victorian Cemetery and Chapel complex, located adjacent to Bedford Park to the North of Bedford Town Centre.
The aim of the Friends of Bedford Cemetery is to promote and preserve the history, landscape, natural history of the cemetery. We aim to help the public appreciate the importance of the cemetery and to understand its history and amenities.
Bedford’s first municipal cemetery opened on the 5th June 1855. The cemetery chapel was originally a double structure, with separate chapels for the Church of England and Dissenters. A Gatehouse was constructed which contained a mortuary and accommodation for cemetery staff.
The cemetery grounds are one of the hidden secrets of Bedford. The cemetery contains many historic and interesting trees, some of which such as Arbutus (Strawberry Trees) are nationally endangered.
Check out our calendar see what’s happening in the days and months ahead